Wednesday, July 1, 2009

07-01-09

Haven't Posted in a month.

Haven't train in about as long.

The brutal injuries on my shoulder over about 2 decades finally caught up with me Early in June. I was North-South on someone, went under the head for the opposite shoulder and began to step my choke back and we (me & my training partner) both heard a sort of 'ker-CHUNK'

I stopped doing what I was doing and asked him if he was ok, fearing I had broke his jaw, and he looked at me, shocked, and said 'No. are you ok?'

It was at that point I realized the noise came from my shoulder, and while I had felt no pain, a feeling came across me that I can only explain as awkward, like what I feel like if some stranger on the subway were to touch me.

Well 1 month, 1 MRI, 42 ArthroTek pill, & 3 orthopedic visits later, they are still totally unsure of what is going on. I have been told many things, but most of them are back tracked over once the pain comes back.

Here's what I know:

The X-ray showed multiple fractures in my clavicle by the shoulder. But the pain I have is not from that, I am no doctor but I have broken my toes, hands and feet multiple times, along with a leg, arm, and a rib, and I can tell you this pain IS NOT from the broken clavicle.

The MRI (as I have been told, again I'm not doctor) Showed no tear in either the labrum or in the Ac parts

The awful pain went away rather quickly with the ArthroTek (NSAID) to the point where I was able to roll twice two weeks ago, with no, to very limited pain.

Swimming with my daughter appears to have totally re-injured my shoulder to the point where I cannot really train again, and this time the meds are not really helping the pain which leads me to believe it is not helping the inflammation.

What I am Learning:

• Not training really kills my energy, and drive to do other things.
• My cardio went away in about 1 week, my flexibility went quicker.
• Real injuries are awful.

What I am doing as of today:

• After much sulking I purchased an exercise bike and ride it at least fourty minutes a day.

• Using a brace. I will post links and images later. It really seems to help keep my shoulder where it needs to be.

• Really working on my posture & doing little things to keep my mind on BJJ like working my hand grips and stupid stuff like that.

• Going to start drilling Next week.

1 comments07-01-09


  1. Gabe says:

    This sucks man... try to stay off it as much as possible it will end up saving you time to roll in the end. just hang in there. good thing your exercising though

    July 1, 2009 at 10:56 PM

Leave a Comment